Wanting longer and fuller hair is a natural yearning for most women. However, not everybody is gifted with it genetically. In this case, it is perfectly alright to gift yourself the look you desire through hair extensions.
Hand-tied extensions are getting popular by the day. Since they are easier to style and last longer, people now prefer hand-tied extensions over tape-ins and clip-on.
Longer lasting means you will have to treat them with extra care, so they do not clump or dry out over time. To maintain them, you must use the best shampoo for hand-tied extensions.
A thorough but gentle rinse over and under the extension base with a sulfate-free hand-tied shampoo with natural organic ingredients like coconut milk, aloe vera, and fruit extracts is perfect for making your extensions look cleaner and healthier.
The OGX Shampoo Nourishing Coconut Milk is a paraben-free, sulfate-free blend of natural moisturizers that hydrate your hair and leave it smooth and shiny.
With so many products out there, it often gets confusing for consumers to select the best product suitable for their extension type.
Well, luck is on your side today. After thorough research, I will rate and review the 5 best shampoos for hand-tied extensions in this article.
Top 3 picks (comparison)
|Best||Best for||Unique in||Ratings|
|OGX Shampoo Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo||Beginner extension users||Most moisturizing||4.7|
|Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo||Damaged extensions||Repairs porous hair||4.6|
|Color Wow Color Security Shampoo:||Color-treated extensions||Residue-free||4.6|
Best shampoos for hand-tied extensions
If you are new to the extension world, you are likely to have an itchy and irritated scalp due to hefty wefts pulling onto your scalp. In this case, OGX Shampoo Nourishing Coconut Milk Shampoo may work best for you because of the following features.
- This extension shampoo is sulfate-free and paraben free, locking in nourishment.
- Coconut milk infusion gives it a creamy texture that mingles gently with your scalp and cleanses it without being harsh.
- The milky formula nourishes the roots and ends of your extensions and gives them a soft and glowy finish.
- The whipped egg white protein help maintain hair thickness.
- Shea butter, white peach, and coconut milk add a coconut-y scent to your hair which stays for a while after the rinse.
- According to the reviews, it manages straight, wavy, curly, and frizzy hair.
|Beginners who are not sure about using chemicals on their extensions.||Smoothen curls|
Free of harsh chemicals
Offers deep conditioning
Acts as detangler
|Some people might find the coconut aroma irritable|
If you are hesitant to pick a colored hair extension just because you fear the color will strip off after a few washes, you are missing a chance to look glamorous.
Colored hair extension needs special shampoo to seal the color, and I suggest you try the L’Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate-Free Moisture Shampoo for this purpose. Here is what it offers.
- This hand-tied shampoo is vegan, paraben-free, and sulfate free.
- The color care system cleanses your extensions, maintaining their glow and life.
- Rosemary infusion moisturizes hair and prevents dandruff and premature graying.
- Regular consumers find the formula so lightweight that it can lock in moisture for up to 4 weeks without weighing your hair down.
- People with curly hair stated that since it does not have harsh salts, their hair felt smoother and easier to detangle.
|Best for||Pluses||Weak points|
|Curly hair extensions
Chemical or color-treated extensions
|Offer hydrating, conditioning, and moisturizing properties |
Seals the color
|Does not lather enough.|
Where a hand-tied extension has a lot of pros, its texture can seriously be affected by washing with an inappropriate shampoo. On top of it, color treatment and styling damage it even more. However, you do not need to worry further. The next hand-tied shampoo I will discuss is an answer for everyone with damaged hair.
- The shampoo has a creamy texture, which feels super gentle over the scalp.
- Organic ingredients like guava extract, coconut milk, and mango butter return your hair’s natural shine and luster.
- 100% aloe vera locks in moisture and nourishes your hair, preventing damage.
- Keratin proteins repair rough and damaged hair.
- Lavender, jojoba, and rosemary give it a very pleasant scent.
- According to customer reviews, it detangles curls, a great option for maintaining multiple hair types.
- It is paraben, sulfate, and phosphate free.
- Using it with Morrocan oil Moisture repair conditioner gets the best results.
|Best for||Pluses||Weak points|
|Damage and curly hair extension.||Nourishes and hydrates scalp |
Repairs damaged hair
Color safe Pleasant odor
|Quantity feels quite less than what it charges.|
Kerastase Nutritive Satin 2 shampoo has especially been designed to meet the needs of people with dry and fragile hair. If you have extensions but fear them falling off due to non-durable hair, Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 2 is perfect for you.
- After thorough research, I discovered that this formula smoothens broken roots and edges and gives them a healthy look.
- The glucose-active component replenishes the roughest spots on your head.
- It is rated great for detangling hair.
- Antioxidants lock in moisture and maintain clean hair longer.
- Since the product is rich and creamy, only use a small amount and lather it up.
- Consumers reported that it provides nutrition and maintains that bounce to your hair without weighing it down.
- It has really good feedback from people with dry or severely dried hair, which was the goal for the updated formula.
|Best for||Pluses||Weak points|
|Dry, sensitized hair extensions
|Lightweight Works on dried hair extension|
Moisturizes the scalp
Makes it easier to dry
Hair feels smoother and softer
|Strong odor |
Difficult to lather up
Many shampoo manufacturers claim that their product moisturizes, nourishes, and hydrates the hair extension. Though these qualities may sound enticing, such ingredients do not wash off completely and weigh your hair down.
Color Wow Color Security Shampoo is created considering that a shampoo’s job is to clean the hair completely. With 0 residues and 100% wash-off, this shampoo is one of the best for hand-tied extensions.
- People stated that it cleans your scalp entirely and leaves no residue in the follicles.
- Reviews said that it is safe for color-treated extensions and does not rinse off the color.
- 0 residue feature lets your scalp breathe and gives you healthy and shiny hair.
- This extension shampoo rinses away all the dirt sitting in the hair and fights dullness.
- People are happy because it makes their hair color pop and brightens it.
- The formula is sulfate-free and silicone free.
- It can be used on all hair types.
|Best for||Pluses||Weak points|
|Colored hair extensions:||Residue-free
Silicone and sulfate free
Holds the color
|Does not detangle hair
Quick buying guide
To make the selection process even easier, I am providing you with a buying guide so that you choose the product best for your hair type:
Things to consider
Before buying any hand-tied extensions shampoo, evaluate your hair type and choose the product accordingly.
If you have oily hair, there is likely a lot of buildup between your hair and extensions. Opting for a residue-free, 100% cleansing shampoo like Color Wow Color Security Shampoo will be a good choice.
Similarly, if your hair and extensions are on the dry side, try Kerastase Nutritive Bain Satin 2.
If you have colored-streaked extensions, opt for a color-safe shampoo, like Moroccanoil Moisture Repair Shampoo.
Once you have chosen a product, read its ingredient list, ratings, and reviews.
- A little goes a long way; avoid using too many products.
- Give a rinse 2-3 times a week. Overwashing loosens the hand-tied extensions.
- Avoid chlorine and salt water.
- Do not let your hand-tied extensions air dry totally. It will sag them.
- Do not rub your extensions to dry.
- Use a silk pillowcase while sleeping.
To conclude the discussion, whether you want length, fullness, or a style transformation, know that hair extensions only look good if properly maintained. Clumped or hefty strands give a dirty look.
To get the best results, get your hand-tied extensions replaced regularly. Wash them thoroughly with the best professional products available and dry them gently. With proper care, you can rock any length you want to.
How do you keep your hair healthy with hand-tied extensions?
Detangle the knots morning and evening by sectioning. Wash them with the best shampoo for hand-tied extensions. Pat dry the excess water with a towel. Do not scrub. Let it air dry for some time, then go in with your drier.
Which shampoo is OK for extensions?
The best shampoo for hand-tied extensions should be sulfate-free and paraben free. A shampoo should wash away all the oil and residue from your roots, leaving a fresh scalp. It should leave your hair smooth, shiny, and flexible.
How often should you wash your hair with hand-tied extensions?
Give a wash 2-3 times a week. Overwashing loosens the hand-tied extensions.
How do you keep your hand-tied extensions soft?
Use sulfate and paraben-free hand-tied shampoos on your extensions. Also, try leave-in conditioners to make your hair softer and more hydrated.
Ashley’s only hobby in this world is trying different Hair care products on her own hair and later sharing her thoughts via her words, IG stories, and Tiktok. With her grasp of information about all hair-caring brands, ingredients, and remedies, she is an asset to the team.